Thursday, February 26, 2015

Tips on Vaccines and Medicines when Traveling



 Depending on where you are planning on visiting and for how long, you may need certain vaccines and/or medications.  Research a local clinic that has a physician that deals with traveling as well.  Just tell them the countries that you plan on visiting and they will do all of the research for you.  When I got to the doctor’s office, they provided me with a big folder with information on all of the places that I mentioned including information on the range of risk for malaria in certain areas, if there are required vaccines to enter the country, suggested vaccines to get, food illness risks, risks of animal or insect bites, climate data, general information on the countries, and much more.  Be sure to give your updated vaccine information to the physician so that they can adequately suggest what you should or do not be updated with.  Just request these records from your previous doctor.  I’m not a big fan of vaccines or medications but sometimes they are necessary for different reasons.

I was updated on the majority of my shots since I needed them for school.  I got updated on my rabies shot when I went to Central America so I didn’t need to get it again for my longer trip.  It’s very important and wise to be updated on your rabies shot because there are so many stray dogs in many countries that pose a risk.  One of my only terrifying stories from traveling is when a friend and I were approached by and almost attacked by three big ferocious dogs that looked like they wanted to eat us in Costa Rica.  Luckily a car scared them away for us and we were able to run.  But, I have met some people who have been bitten by animals while traveling abroad.  A friend that I met in Cambodia was just in Thailand and on her second day there, she startled a sleeping dog and it jumped up and bit her in the leg.  She had to go to the hospital and since she wasn’t updated on her rabies shot, she had to go get three shots to update herself.  Monkeys pose another threat to people.  In many countries in Central America and Southeast Asia, there are monkeys roaming around.  They often jump on you out of curiosity and love to try to steal things from and off of you.  I have heard a story of a person who was bitten by a monkey that got into her room through a window and she scared it.  She had to be driven to a hospital hours away.  You never know what can happen so it’s better to be prepared just in case.  The last thing that you want is to have to go to a foreign hospital for care because they often aren’t very safe or sanitary.

 When I went on my second backpacking trip which was to Central America for almost three months, I got malaria pills since there are so many mosquitoes.  But, I have mixed feelings about the pills.  There are a few different ones to choose from but none of them are actually good for you to take.  Some can cause hallucinations, nausea, and other side effects.  I had Malarone, the kind that had the least amount of side affects which, I never experienced any myself.  I just didn’t like the thought of consuming so many of those pills for so long and that processing through my body.  I did take them all in Central America but then when I was heading on my longest trip in Southeast Asia, India, and thoughts to go down to South America, I wasted money on buying some more but decided not to take them.  I wish I didn’t buy them.  I couldn’t bring myself around to taking so many of those pills.  Luckily my insurance covered most of their cost. I don’t think that you really need to get malaria pills but in that case, it’s very important to use a lot of bug spray with deet.  I also use eucalyptus or mint oils on my skin and sprayed on my clothing and bedding at night because insects then to hate their smell.   

Another shot that I feel is important to have is Tetanus.  I speak from experience.  Your physician may highly recommend that you are updated.  On my second day in Thailand, I was getting onto a dingy old run-down bus with my luggage.  As I was climbing on and into the seat, I put my elbow against the back of the seat and placed my hand on the window sill to help scoot myself onto the broken seat.  Little did I realize, there was a rusty old nail sticking out of the back of the seat that pierced right into my elbow.  Thankfully I had my Tetanus shot!  I also met a tourist in Guatemala who fell while hiking and cut open his leg pretty badly.  They sent him to a local hospital but he said that their tools and methods were very unsafe and unsanitary.  He had to get some sort of stitches from a dodgy-looking needle and he was thankful that he had his Tetanus shot updated. 

Many countries, and your physician, may suggest that you are updated on your Hepatitis B and C shots as well but is not necessarily required.  You will probably already be updated on, if not all then, the majority of the vaccines or shots suggested or required.  Most countries do not require many, if any, vaccines to enter.  They will just suggest some.  Your physician will provide this information for you too for each country.  The last time I went to my physician, I had to get a Yellow Fever shot because I was planning on going to South America at some point.  The Yellow Fever shot is required when traveling in and out of certain countries in South America such as Brazil and Argentina due to the Amazon and areas susceptible to Dengue Fever.  When I was in Costa Rica, I met a girl who spent three months in Brazil and then was flying to Costa Rica.  She didn’t have her Yellow Fever vaccine so they flew her to Peru to stay for a few days and get the shot.  She finally made it to Costa Rica.  Countries requiring this vaccine need proof by having you show a Yellow Fever card that you receive right after getting the shot.  Keep this card with you at all times when you travel so you don’t lose it.  I kept it in my money pouch with my passport and other important documents and information. 

My physician also recommended and supplied some pills that help with food and water sickness.  I never had to take any of them.  I also carried a small bottle of Pepto-Bismol to help with what is called Traveler’s Diarrhea.  

All in all, you are probably ready to travel already.  You are probably updated on any required or highly suggest vaccines because of school requirements.  You can look online at the same information that your physician would provide for you and make a judgment based on that.  Keep in mind that you may be required for some vaccines such as Yellow Fever, depending on where you go.  It’s a smart choice to see a travel physician before leaving, just in case.

Visit http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list to learn more about vaccines and medications for where you are traveling to.

Some other medicines I recommend to take are:
·         Birth Control Pills
·         Ibuprofen and/or Asprin (I was glad that I had some when my chronic foot problem was inflamed)
·         Vitamin C tablets (try to keep your immune system up because you will be exposed to so many foreign germs as you travel, especially on airplanes)
·         Cold medicine (I always get terribly sick from temperature changes and have often slept all day in my hostels)
·         Benadryl pills (you never know what you may be exposed to and allergic to)
·         Probiotics (important to help support your digestive system when you travel)
·         Cranberry pills (if you often deal with UTIs)
·         Multi-Vitamins (to support your overall health as you travel)
·         Hand-Sanitizer (i know this isn’t a medication but is very important to use when traveling!)
·         Any medications that you currently take
·         Be sure to label everything property.  You don’t want any trouble with customs or baggage checks.

No comments:

Post a Comment