Thursday, February 26, 2015

What You Will Gain from Solo Travel



 I’m always asked why I travel alone.  When I first desired to travel, I never had anyone who had the time or money to do so.  Of course most people want to travel the world, I mean, who wouldn’t, but doing so requires time and a money.  Since I didn’t have anyone who go with, I went on my own.  I have been traveling by myself ever since.  Most people have a job that doesn’t allow the required time off or they don’t have the money to do so.  I have traveled with my mom to quite a few places.  I love being able to show her the world that she otherwise wouldn’t ever experience or see.  We have gone on two cruises, backpacked Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji, and have traveled to the stunning states of Hawaii and Florida.  We also went on a vacation to the Dominican Republic years ago and some other states as well. 

Other than when my mom comes along with me, I prefer traveling alone.  I have always been on my own since I am an only child and have always lived on my own since graduating from high school in 2006, so I am use to being by myself and figuring things out.  Traveling alone has forced me to make many decisions, solve problems, use resources to find help or answers, and to learn many lessons by the mistakes that I’ve made due to lack of research or simply being naïve.  Traveling alone has also enabled me to build character, gain experiences that I’ll never forget, make friends from all around the world, learn just how strong of a person I am, and much more.  I wouldn’t have it any other way.  I have met a lot of friends along the way in different countries and we will travel for a short bit to another city or country or share a room together but eventually we go our separate ways.  When you travel with someone else or a group of people, you have to alter what exactly you want to do and when and you have to compromise.  But when you are on your own, everything is up to you.  You can choose where you want to go, how long you want to stay, when you want to leave, where to go next, what to eat, when to eat, what to see and do, how much to spend, and much more.  I am always meeting new people in transit or in hostels so I am never truly alone.  I feel that when you travel alone, you gain so much more because you don’t have someone else to lean or depend on.  A big part of who I am today is directly related to my travels around the world on my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment