Thursday, February 26, 2015

How Much Ahead Planning You Should Do When Traveling



I usually don’t plan ahead much when I travel.  For me, planning ahead just overwhelms me because there can be so much information to research.  Therefore, I like to just plan as I go.  Now, I do research the most important information such as that for passports, visas, visa-on-arrivals, required medical vaccines, visitor entry requirements and fees, entrance and exit fees, current safety precautions or current events, and a few other things.  Due to my lack of research in the past, I had learned everything that I now know about traveling and different countries due to personal experience and problems that I ran into and had to figure out on my own.  I honestly wouldn’t have had it any other way.  Although I have stories galore and had to face various problems to figure out, everything always got worked out in one way or another.  The lessons that I learned throughout my travels are what inspired me to create this website so I can provide the most important information for traveling while sharing my experiences at the same time. 

You will wonder when is the best time to book a flight, transportation, or an accommodation for the next country when you are backpacking.   I know that you will be worried that you will miss out on affordable prices but, no worries, I am not one to book far in advance at all.  The websites for flights and accommodations that I use are great tools that will still help you save money, even close to the last minute.  When I was backpacking Southeast Asia and flew to Japan, I didn’t book any budget flights until I got there.  I didn’t book any far future flights until I got to a country or two closer.  This is for a couple of reasons.  I have made the mistake of booking further in advance and wound up having to cancel the flight to return home due to an injury.  Natural disasters can also be a cause for a flight cancelation like when I had booked five budget flights with one being to the Philippines.  Typhoon Yolanda hit the Philippines and I was not able to fly there at that time which resulted in me having to cancel all of my other flights that I had already booked.  I lost out on a bit of money due to that.  Now, I wait pretty close to when I’m ready to go.  The only flights that I book in advance are for the countries that require an exit ticket upon arrival.  I experienced this a lot in Southeast Asian countries that are islands and some other countries that are situated on their own (meaning they don’t have many connecting countries where you can leave via bus or train).  They want to know when you are planning to leave their country.  Therefore, I would book an entrance and an exit flight at the same time, one country at a time.  When you can travel on ground transportation from one country to another, you don’t have to have an exit ticket already. 

As for accommodation, it’s similar to that of flights.  I don’t book far in advance.  The only time that you should book far in advance is if you will be visiting a country during a special holiday which could pose an issue on finding available accommodations.  I ran into this problem many times such as in Madrid, Thailand for New Years Eve, and Osaka, Japan.  You should Google if the country has any special holidays during your time of visit if you are worried about securing accommodations because there are so many holidays that other countries have that can drive up the cost of accommodations and can limit the amount of available accommodations.  When I first backpacked Western Europe, I didn’t book any accommodations ahead of time at all.  I would literally just arrive in the new country or city and walk around to find a hostel.  The majority of the time this worked.  That’s because Western Europe is such a prime place for backpackers that hostels can be found almost anywhere.  But, I did run into some stressful times there when I had difficulty finding a place to stay.  So, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend doing that but, know that it is do-able.  If you are going to do that, then I’d recommend doing so when you are arriving into a city or country in the morning or day time because the darker it gets out, the more worrisome you will become.  In Central America, I did the same thing by just arriving into town but, this time I made sure that I arrived to a new place early in the day.  For my longest trip covering Southeast Asia, India, Eastern Europe/Mediterranean, Morocco, and the Middle East, I did book ahead, but not by far.  I usually waited until the day before arrival or before a flight.  I did that because the countries that I was traveling to weren’t always the safest for a person roaming around for hours without a place to stay so I wanted to give my mind some ease and have a place booked.  I used my recommended websites and booked using my iPad or a computer when I could get WiFi for free.  Another good thing about having a place booked is that you can message them as ask for specific directions and recommendation on how to get there and how much to expect to pay.  You can also ask if they offer free shuttle or a pick-up fee from the airport or station.  Many places had offered to send someone to come meet me at a certain bus or train stop and walk with me because the place can be hard to find.  Keep in mind that I don’t recommend booking anything too far in advance because a change in plan may come up or you may want to stay somewhere longer.  This has definitely happened to me many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment