Thursday, February 26, 2015

What to Eat and Drink While Traveling



One of the best things about traveling around the world is trying so many different types of foods.  Each country has its own popular food staples such as poutine in Canada, doner kebabs in Turkey, pad thai in Thailand, paella in Spain, Pho in Vietnam, sushi in Japan, giant hot pretzels in Germany, curry in India, waffles in Belgium, tagine in Morocco, and much more.  There are all types of places to get food at whether it is at a restaurant, café, street cart, marketplace, supermarket store, train station, airport, vending machines, homemade by someone, or other ways.  It all depends upon your budget. 

You can go to a nicer sit-down restaurant or a smaller family-owned restaurant.  If you do decide to go to a restaurant and be served, be sure to research the country’s tipping policies beforehand.  Every place is different but, most other countries do not require or accept tips.  It’s better to be well-informed first.  Cafés are popular all around the world.  You can get coffee, drinks, bakery, sandwiches, and much more at them.  They are also popular with tourists because they sometimes offer free WiFi or a WiFi code or computer use if you purchase something.  I have been to airports and train stations are really big and have a huge variety of foods and eateries to choose from.  Western Europe is popular for this.  In Zurich, Switzerland, the train station was really big and had a Christkindle Market set up in it with a giant Christmas tree that was draped in Swvarski crystals and had so much food to choose from.  The airport in Singapore and Shanghai was one that stuck out with such a huge variety of food to choose from. 

My favorite ways to get food are from street carts and marketplaces.  Street cart food is typically very cheap and delicious.  Thailand is known for its street food.  You can get a bowl of pad thai or fried rice where you choose your ingredients and they prepare it in front of you for only $1.  You can get four spring rolls or Som Tum (green papaya salad, my favorite!) for only $1 as well.  You can get a giant bowl of hot and spicy noodle soup with meat and vegetables for less than $2. There is so much to choose from such as pastries, thai hot dogs or meat balls on a stick, seafood, and more.  I loved thai coffee that uses sweet and condensed milk for around 50 cents or thai green tea lattes from 7-Eleven for a few cents (yes, 7-Elevens are everywhere in Southeast Asia and they have everything that you need there!).   Marketplaces are a great way to find cheap foods to try.  Pretty much every country will have an outdoor or a covered marketplace.  You can find food, souvenirs, hand-made crafts, clothing, and much more at marketplaces.  Some of my favorites were in Thailand, Guatemala, India, Morocco, Taiwan, and Japan.  Nishiki marketplace in Kyoto, Japan is very well-known.  When I was there, I saw a film crew walking down the aisle and filming a t.v show.  There is so much to see and taste.  They let you try a lot of things such as candies (I loved candied fruits like apple, cantaloupe, papaya, and berries), pickled foods, dried seafood, nuts and seeds, sake, teas, and more, all for free.  There is a lot of unique foods to choose from to buy such as baby octopus on a stick, sushi, Japanese donuts, roasted chestnuts, stinky tofu, seaweeds (my absolute favorite!), green tea candies, strange looking fish, barbequed eel (delicious!), and much much more.

My absolute favorite thing to have when I travel is a smoothie made from fresh local fruits.  In Indonesia, I would stop at my favorite smoothie shop multiple times a day and got to choose as many fruits and ingredients (chocolate, avocado, milk, caramel, etc) that I wanted in my smoothie for only 50 cents each.  Or, you can get a giant mixed tropical fruit platter for 50 cents.  They had everything from melons, strawberries, kiwi, mango, banana, apple, grapes, papaya, and pineapple, to guava, mangosteen, jackfruit, starfruit, passion fruit, rambutans, and lychees.  This is the same in Thailand, where the smoothies and fruit plates are also extremely fresh and cheap. 

The reason I mentioned vending machines is because some Asian countries such as Japan and Korea are known to have interesting food choices in their vending machines such as sushi, sandwiches, and more.  In many countries, you will come across very kind, welcoming, and hospitable people who use food and cooking as a way to show love, appreciation, and acceptance.  I have had homemade meals cooked by wonderful people all around the world.  Some were friends that I stayed with, friends of friends, hostel owners who lived in the building, or family homes I visited for the day.  Some of my most memorable homemade meals were cooked by wonderful people in Croatia, the Philippines, Macedonia, Guatemala, and Fiji. 

If you are afraid that you will miss the comfort of American fast food (which I’m not quite sure why you would!), don’t fret, there are fast food places everywhere in the world.  You probably already know that you can practically find a McDonald’s almost everywhere you go but, you may need to adjust your usual order.  Fast food joints offer different foods depending on the country.  It’s always interesting the read the menus.  In India, the menu is mostly vegetarian but has some chicken and fish on it.  It offers foods like the McVeggie, McAloo Tikki (potato patty), and the McSpicy Paneer (fried cheese patty).  You won’t find any red meat on the menu but you will find the Filet-O-Fish and the McChicken.  Although, most of their choices are fried, a common thing among all Indian foods.  I was surprised to see so many fast food places in Central America.  All of the capital cities (which are huge, over-crowded, and often quite dangerous) are filled with more fast food joints than I have ever seen in the states.  You will recognize many of the establishments but there are a lot of them that are popular only in that region.  They will have their own versions of KFC, and burger and pizza joints.  The most commonly seen American fast food joints are KFC and McDonalds.  The funny thing about fast food places in foreign countries is that they are treated very differently than in the states.  What I mean by that is that they are often treated like actual nice restaurants, even at Pizza hut!  Some of the nicest fast food places that I’ve ever seen were in developing countries like Guatemala and India.  They are usually much cleaner and have more eye-appeal than those that you will find in the U.S.  When I was in Antigua, Guatemala, I would go every day to McDonalds and get a chai tea latte and sit in their pretty outdoor courtyard that had a water fountain flowing.  If you go to a Taco Bell, KFC, or a Burger King in the states, you usually just want to get your food and get out.  Like I mentioned before, 7-Elevens are everywhere in Southeast Asia.  I loved this!  They had pretty much anything that you needed because they were treated like a little grocery store.  Many of the 7-Elevens even had their own dining area to sit and enjoy your food which they will heat up for you there.  In Taiwan they offer frozen dinner-like foods which they will heat up for you, in the Philippines, they love steamed buns and varieties of hot dogs, and in Thailand they offer marinated boiled eggs.

Since our bodies are not use to the bacteria in other countries, travelers often get ill in some way from the food or water.  I have been lucky to not have ever gotten sick from anything that I ate or drank but, I am someone who tends to be quite cautious about what I consume.  It’s usually a rule-of-thumb that as long as it gets heated up or boiled, you will be fine, but you never really know.  It’s hard for people to know exactly what made them ill when they do get sick.  It depends on where you are.  When it comes to the water, people usually say not to drink or brush your teeth with it but, you can ask around and if other travelers say that they have been drinking or using it, then you will probably be ok.  Get a feel for the area that you are in.  If everything around you and outside is very dirty and doesn’t look sanitary, then play it safe and use bottled water.  Many developing countries will sell giant bottles of water for a few cents because they know that tourists want them.  Be sure that the top is sealed shut before you open it first.  When I was on a small island in the Philippines after the typhoon hit, I was sure to use boiled water for everything and drank bottled water, in India, I always used and drank bottled water, and in Dominican Republic I was sure to use bottled water too.

On my way to India, everyone I encountered kept saying “you’re going to get sick so be prepared.  Expect it and deal with it!”.  This made me very leery about eating in India.  Finding something to eat in India was probably the toughest for me, for several reasons.  I am a pretty healthy eater to begin with so authentic India cuisine isn’t in my usual diet.  About half of the country is vegetarian, or just doesn’t eat red meat, so you would automatically think that the food must be pretty healthy.  Granted, Indian cuisine is delicious and I respect everything about it, I just had a hard time finding healthier options because the majority of it is either fried, breaded, cooking with lots of ghee (clarified butter that is commonly used), or has some sort of heavy yogurt or cream in it.   I do love masalas and curries so I did go to some restaurants but I tried not to have it too often due to all the ghee used in it. My favorite Indian dish is mushroom masala.  It’s delicious.  Another reason why I was hesitant to buy prepared food was because of the off putting lack of sanitation in the establishments.  It’s hard to look past the dirt and mice running around in most places.  Or the strong smell of the surroundings in general.  A general rule used is that if you can’t see the kitchen, don’t eat there.  I resorted to eating mostly bagged snacks like nuts, seeds, dried dates, and whole grain crackers.  I also ate a lot of bananas because they have the peel on them and don’t need to be washed.  I missed having smoothies.  They say that you shouldn’t have anything that has ice, water, or fruit that is washed in water in it.  There aren’t many healthy drink options to buy there but I did find a mango juice drink that was bottled and available everywhere in India.  It’s called Maaza.  It definitely has its fair share of sugar but it is delicious and has a good amount of vitamin C in it.  I lived off of those.  Lassis are a common fruit and yogurt drink in India but a met an Australian girl on the plane who said her group of people that she was with and herself all got really ill from drinking a mango lassi.  I did buy a lot of fresh coconuts on the streets where they open it in front of you and it only costs a few cents.  So yummy.  Many people also get stomach problems because of the amount of spice in some Indian food but, I absolutely love spicy food so that wasn’t an issue for me when I did buy hot food. 

Some countries to visit if you love are a big foodie are: Turkey (they are known for their smorgasbord of food everywhere), Germany, Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines, and Italy. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment