Thursday, February 26, 2015

Taking Caution with Animals While Backpacking



I am a huge animal lover but I am always cautious when I comes to interacting with animals when I travel.  My favorites are puppies! And, they are everywhere in some regions! In Central America and Asia, there are so many stray dogs everywhere.  Being surrounded by so many dogs would usually sounds like heaven to me but, the reality of it is a lot of these dogs are very ill, mistreated (often right in front of you), or are aggressive.  It’s important to be aware of your surroundings and where you are walking so that you don’t accidently step on or kick any dogs laying on the ground, which happened to a friend of mine.  It’s often tempting to pet them, especially the cute little puppies but it’s probably not the wisest choice.  You can never be sure what diseases they may have, so it’s best to just admire their cuteness from afar.  Most countries do not require their animals to be vaccinated.

 You’ll notice that some hostels may have animals at them.  Many hostels that are very out-doorsy or open aired may have a dog or cat that lives there or roams the area.  They become very comfortable with tourists and visitors.  In Santa Teresa, Costa Rica, our hostel bunk room didn’t have any glass or screens in the windows, just bars.  We returned to the room and found a small cat laying on one of our suitcases on the bed.  In Costa Rica, Albania, and a few other countries, I remember my hostel having a dog that lived there.  They were always very friendly but I still never really touched them.  On the island of Flores in Tikal, Guatemala, the small hostel that I stayed at was pretty much a zoo! It had everything from dogs, cats, big rabbits, lizards, and birds running around.  They even had a plastic tube maze attached to the ceiling with some sort of rodents running around in them. 

Monkeys are another one of my favorite animals so I am in awe when I see them running around nearby.  Although they are cute, they can be quite dangerous.  Monkeys are commonly seen in Central and South America and all over Asia, as well as other regions.  In Cambodia, I encountered larger monkeys when I was walking alone down a long, quiet road which started walking towards me.  In Thailand, I had a small monkey jump on my shoulder on the beach.  Monkeys are known to steal from people.  They love anything shiny so pay close attention to your jewelry, cameras, watches, purses, sunglasses, and anything else.  They even steal your drinks and food.  One monkey in Thailand came up and stole my mom’s friend’s plastic soda cup and drank it and ate the ice.  They even drink from the can itself!  They aren’t afraid of people so be aware when there are monkeys around.  Watch your belongings when you leave them on the beach and go for a swim.  Be careful because they are known to bite too.  This happened to a friend of a friend who encountered a monkey in her hostel room and she scared it.  She had to be rushed to a hospital hours away in Indonesia.

There are so many different types of animals to see when you travel.  I got to visit the tigers in Thailand.  You get to choose which size tigers you’d like to take pictures with in their cages.  My mom, her friend, and I chose the medium sized ones, which were actually very big!  I was very nervous stepping into the tiger’s den. Who wouldn’t be?!  But, I had to make sure that I kept calm because they obviously can sense if you are scared.  Many people say that the tigers are given sedatives to stay calm, allowing tourists to touch them but, the establishment, Tiger Kingdom, reassured and informed us that the tigers are lazy animals and sleep the majority of the day, just like house cats.  They are also raised by the handlers since they were babies so they are use to being touching them.  There obviously were rules to not approach them from the front, not to touch their faces, paws, or tails. 

Who doesn’t love elephants?  I always wanted to ride an elephant in Thailand but when I got there, I met a few tourists who told me about their terrible experience riding the elephants and how they wish that they never did it.  The reason being is that since riding elephants is such a huge tourist activity and drives a lot of revenue for developing countries, the elephant handlers go to any costs without considering the elephant’s well-being.  In order to get the elephants to walk faster (the faster they walk, the quicker the tour ends, and the quicker the tour ends, the sooner another can begin and more money is made) they hit them with big metal hooks.  You will notice a lot of wear and tear on the elephant’s sides and ears.  This is why my friend disliked this elephant ride so much.  He said that he even asked the handler not to hit the elephant.  Who wants to see something so horrific on what is suppose to be such an enjoyable and memorable life experience?  I wouldn’t bare to witness such an act.  But, not all companies are like that.  You must really do your research and ask around to find a nice, respectable, and honorable company to take you on an enjoyable elephant ride.  There is a place called the Elephant Nature Park in Chaing Mai in northern Thailand.  This is a place that is very respectaible and well-known for volunteers spending time taking care of the elephants by feeding and bathing them.  They also offer elephant ride tours there too.  It cost a bit more but it’s definitely worth it.  I didn’t go there but I wish I had because I hear such great things about it.  My mom, her friend, and I were able to feed a baby elephant one day though. We were on a sight-seeing tour in Phuket, Thailand and we passed some elephants and some people on the side of the road while heading up a mountainside.  On the way down, we stopped, paid a few dollars, and got a little basket of fruit and vegetables.  I fed the baby elephant named Charlie, my puppy’s name!  It took a while to get use to feeding him because he was so strong.  Charlie made me laugh and he filled my heart with happiness. 

I have seen so many types of animals along my travels.  I have seen howling monkeys while climbing the Indian ruins in Guatemala (they sound like dinosaurs they’re so loud!) and in Colombia, sloths in Costa Rica, snakes in Cambodia (they scattered away as I walked and startled them), giant spiders in the Philippines (disgusting!), I road camels in the Sahara Desert in Morocco, there are beautiful birds everywhere, something part raccoon and part anteater in Costa Rica, iguanas in Aruba, baby lizards in Central America, and many more.

For more information on the Elephant Nature Park in Thailand visit http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/







 

No comments:

Post a Comment